Monday, March 2, 2015

First Attempts

Sometimes things just don't go the way you want.  Over the years, here and there, I've dabbled with the thought of dying my own yarn.  Well it's been on my mind more and more lately so I decided it was finally time to give it a try.  I gathered the needed dye, vinegar, supplies, etc. to give it a go and was looking happily forward to my first dyed yarn.

So I put the water in the pot, added the vinegar, added the dye, and added the yarn...and waited.
....
...
..
.
And something went awry.  This is the result I got after letting the yarn dry.


Beautiful colors...Blues and a pale pink and though the photo doesn't show it well there are hints of lavender here and there where the pink and blue come together.  All in all it came out nicely and I will use it, but here's the problem...it was supposed to be all over blue.

Somehow in my process I heated the water at the wrong time and the dye separated and maybe there wasn't enough...I don't know.  I've thought about dying it over, but decided to leave it as it is and use it this way as a honor to my first dyed yarn.

This hasn't got me down though.  I've gathered up more supplies, done more research on how to do this and I will be trying again!!  So stay tuned to stories from the Peachtree Cottage Dyepot.