Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Chester the Jester

A customer wanted a little bear like my Quinn (the Harlequin bear I did for the Thread Artist Guild Masquerade Challenge) but he wanted it sewn instead of crocheted.....so....

Thus was born Chester the Jester



He's a traditionally sewn bear, only 3.75 inches tall standing and 2.75 inches sitting.  He's made from back and white cashmere synthetic fur with tan for his head.  His body has the traditional diamond pattern design that harlequins wear.  He also has a jester hat, mask, and septre.

This is what Chester looks like under his mask



I'm very very happy with how Chester turned out and hope my customer is just as pleased.

Friday, March 19, 2010

Whoo Hoo It Worked!

I'm so happy!  My experiment worked out and my little special order bear is one of the best sewn ones I think I've done.  Now I just have to make his accessories....ugh, my hands hurt already from conditioning clay, but in the end it will be worth it!

Watch this space for pictures soon!

Saturday, March 13, 2010

How do I do this?

A customer ordered a special little bear that I'm delighted to make for him.  However he wants it sewn instead of crochet.  No problem I thought....and the majority of it will be no problem, however, I will be having to design something new that I've not done in sewn before to complete one part of it.  I love a challenge so off I went, ordered in some supplies and now that they have arrived I'm starting on this special little bear.

So ... how do I do this?  I keep thinking of various different ways to attempt the one difficult area.  I've come up with several ideas and had one in particular that I was sure would work.  So I tested it on a piece of scrap material...and....ugh...it didn't work at all.  The fabric is synthetic not real fur and my idea involved shaving down some of the fur for parts of it.  When I attempted this with a little electric razor tool I had previously bought for just this kind of thing....it *burned* the fabric.  Well it didn't really burn it, more it melted it......so that idea is a no go.

Now I'm trying to come up with other alternative ways to accomplish the same technique.  Next I will attempt to cut back the fur by hand in the desired areas.  I will try a few different ways to do this to see if any work well, but as last resort I will trim down each bit of fur with sharp little scissors if I need to.  If all this doesn't work then I will attempt sewing together bits of different fur to see if that will accomplish the look I'm trying for.

Luckily my customer is aware that I'm having to experiment some and is being patient.  I'm working on all the other parts of the bear so when I get this one area done I will then be able to quickly complete it for him.  As I said I love a challenge and really am delighted to be trying all this and hope it works out well.  If it does I will be doing it again :-)

I know I know...all this *mystery* without saying exactly what it is I'm attempting to do.  But I want the result to be a surprise.  When it's all finished I will be posting a picture here.  Til then I'm a bit occupied with "how do I do this"...lol

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Flitter & Flutter

If you listen you can almost hear the flitter and flutter of little fairy bunny wings.



Flitter & Flutter are little fairy bunnies which were commissioned by a customer and are what I've been working on lately.  While the bunnies themselves are not all that difficult for me to make (since I love making bunnies), the wings however were a trial.  The tiny thread (size 12 Finca) and hook (size 14) and the color changes were hard on my eyes and I could only work on them for short periods of time at a setting.  The result when finished though came out wonderfully so it was all well worth the time and effort.

I have another commissioned bear I'll be working on next.  A customer wants one similiar to my Quinn (the little harlequin bear) only wants it sewn not crocheted.  I've ordered the supplies and will be starting on that as soon as they arrive.  I'm looking forward to working on this one as it will be a challenge for me to incorporate the harlequin diamond pattern.

In the meantime while I wait for the supplies...I'm working on another doily, this one will be ecru and rose....I'll be posting a picture as soon as it's completed and blocked.